Monday, May 4, 2015

Changing this blog up a little

"Brevity is the soul of wit." So I'm going to start doing something a bit different... Instead of these long-winded posts that no one will ever read, I'll try to post more regularly and will hopefully just make short posts about something I learned (starting... next post).

This post I just want to mention that I've been working at a new job since January. I'm currently a software development engineer in test (SDET) working at FINRA.

I'm working in JVM land before, which I haven't really done since college (except for a Java-in-Visual Studio MSBuild template I built a few years ago, which hardly counts).

My project since joining FINRA has been Big Data test data generation and automated testing. I have engineered a system written in Scala that generates both the inputs and the expected outputs to a Big Data application called OATS, which takes in financial orders from broker-dealers, exchanges, etc., and links them all together so you can see the entire lifecycle of an order. I've modeled the states and their allowed transitions, and based on that am able to randomly generate data that I could expect the application would link together. I'm also leveraging this generation engine to assist us in testing of specific scenarios, which is done either by hardcoding a graph in Scala or my specifying a directory of DOT files describing a graph. The generator reads in the DOT files, transforms them into graphs of events satisfying each DOT file, fills in random data, and performs the automated testing using that input data and the generated expected outputs.

It's a lot of fun, and I've been learning a lot doing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment